Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Always check your receipts!

Today was an early morning stop at Publix for me. I was swapping some coupons with a friend and she was there at an hour that usually finds me in my PJs eating breakfast. I am just not functional before 9 a.m.

I managed to get through the shopping experience with only a few disappointments: a couple of my coupons had just expired and my total wasn't what I had hoped in terms of savings. I had spent $26 and saved $44.

This week costing a bit more was expected, as I bought I huge bottle of EVOO. It was BOGO, but even with the $1 off coupon, it was still $4.50. It was the most expensive item in my cart.

I scrutinized my receipt and quickly found where I had gone wrong: The hot dogs! I thought I grabbed four packages that were BOGO. With the sale and coupons, the items should have been 65 cents each, which is a GREAT price for hot dogs, not to mention name brand. Instead, I had only grabbed one of the sale hot dogs and THREE packages of hot dogs not on sale. That mistake made up nearly half of my entire grocery bill! I like hot dogs as much as the next person, but I don't like them enough to spend $13 on three packages of hot dogs!

Back in to the store and I was able to get a refund. And, I don't feel bad about it. I had no intention of spending that much money on hot dogs.

After the return, it was $13 and $31 in savings, $20 of that was just in coupons and not store savings! That still equals out to about 70 percent savings! It's not extreme, but it's pretty typical of what the average person can do without buying 40 bottles of mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment